DBZ Vortex

The number one forum and resource for Dragon Ball Z Legendary Super Warrior sprites

PortalHomeFAQRulesRegisterLog in

Share | 

Mac Or MS??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Luka

PostSubject: Mac Or MS??   Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:04 pm

Alright I've got a question, for all you Mac users out there, what program do you use to sprite??

Cos I've had Windows all my life and I've been using Microsoft Paint and I feel I've mastered it and now I'm getting a new Macbook and I just need to know if the programs on it will be greater than or equal to MS Paint...
Back to top Go down
General Grievous

PostSubject: Re: Mac Or MS??   Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:15 pm

I think most mac users download MS paint
Back to top Go down
Blues Light
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Mac Or MS??   Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:35 pm

Get a copy of VMWare Fusion or Parallels Desktop (whether you actually pay for it or not is up to you. Internet's good for that sort of thing >.>), and take a Windows re-install disc from a previous computer.

Install either VMWare or Parallels, and then create a virtual machine and install Windows. Not only will this give you MS Paint, but you will have the option to run Windows software as if it was native to your Mac, bypassing the software gap that is slowly going away.

You could try out some of the other Mac "Paint replacements," such as Seashore, Pixen, or a host of others, however I have tried every one I could find and nothing beats MS Paint, oddly enough.
The Virtual Machine route will also allow you to play games that don't have a Mac port, or otherwise take care of situations where the software is a bit older and/or there isn't a Mac variant. That said, most major software now has either an open source variant or a Mac port. Example: there is a version of MSN Messenger for Mac, but to be completely honest, it's shit. Download aMSN if you plan on using that instant messaging service. It's an open source clone of MSN, and IMO functions better than real MSN on Windows.

Back to top Go down
Luka

PostSubject: Re: Mac Or MS??   Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:21 pm

Wow Blues, you just told me absolutely everything I needed to hear. Thank you!

But one question, when I get the software that allows Windows on Mac, how much memory will that take up?
Back to top Go down
PhantomAForce

PostSubject: Re: Mac Or MS??   Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:30 pm

lukasahlstrom wrote:
Wow Blues, you just told me absolutely everything I needed to hear. Thank you!

But one question, when I get the software that allows Windows on Mac, how much memory will that take up?

um, I really wouldn't recommend that. Bootcamp and other such programs that allow windows to be downloaded to a mac are pricey, thats not including having to buy windows either.

i have a mac and sprite with paintbrush: http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/home_learning/paintbrush.html

Its a fairly simple program, but still has alot of bugs, so save frequently.
Back to top Go down
Axxon456

PostSubject: Re: Mac Or MS??   Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:06 pm

Blues Light wrote:
Get a copy of VMWare Fusion or Parallels Desktop (whether you actually pay for it or not is up to you. Internet's good for that sort of thing >.>), and take a Windows re-install disc from a previous computer.

Install either VMWare or Parallels, and then create a virtual machine and install Windows. Not only will this give you MS Paint, but you will have the option to run Windows software as if it was native to your Mac, bypassing the software gap that is slowly going away.

You could try out some of the other Mac "Paint replacements," such as Seashore, Pixen, or a host of others, however I have tried every one I could find and nothing beats MS Paint, oddly enough.
The Virtual Machine route will also allow you to play games that don't have a Mac port, or otherwise take care of situations where the software is a bit older and/or there isn't a Mac variant. That said, most major software now has either an open source variant or a Mac port. Example: there is a version of MSN Messenger for Mac, but to be completely honest, it's shit. Download aMSN if you plan on using that instant messaging service. It's an open source clone of MSN, and IMO functions better than real MSN on Windows.

Pro.....All to be said.

Yea Just Follow Blues Intructions and you will be fine Very Happy
Back to top Go down
PhantomAForce

PostSubject: Re: Mac Or MS??   Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:17 pm

Axxon456 wrote:
Blues Light wrote:

Pro.....All to be said.

ahh, why don;t you listen to me, the programs that allow windows to be downloaded to mac are near the 50-120 $ price gap. Buying a good windows program will be around 200-300$, I wouldn't pay that much just to get windows to mac. and thats not including the programs you have to buy for windows either.
Back to top Go down
Tidal-Crash

PostSubject: Re: Mac Or MS??   Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:26 pm

Blues was talking about...illegal means.
Back to top Go down
http://abridgedthecomic.webs.com/
Luka

PostSubject: Re: Mac Or MS??   Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:49 pm

animeforce23 wrote:
Axxon456 wrote:
Blues Light wrote:

Pro.....All to be said.

ahh, why don;t you listen to me, the programs that allow windows to be downloaded to mac are near the 50-120 $ price gap. Buying a good windows program will be around 200-300$, I wouldn't pay that much just to get windows to mac. and thats not including the programs you have to buy for windows either.

yeah i dont really plan on buying any of those programs... haha i have my way of obtaining them thru file sharing ^__^
Back to top Go down
Blues Light
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Mac Or MS??   Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:43 am

I didn't say buy them. If he already has a PC, he'll have a backup Windows disc for reinstallation in the event he had to wipe his HD. If he obtains VMWare Fusion or Parallels Desktop (I have used both and prefer VMWare btw) by whatever means he chooses, as I am not vindicating any specific option, he can install the same version of Windows he is already familiar with.

Total cost: potentially $0.

Also, Bootcamp comes native to each Mac and allows a user to partition their HD and reboot in Windows. The programs I mentioned create a virtual machine to run Windows at the same time the Mac OS is running, and share the common Mac HD, so you do not need to partition your HD, unless you just really really want to for some reason.

One IMPORTANT note I forgot to mention: you will need to install virus protection on whatever method you choose for Windows, to protect it against all those nasty bugs you already protect against that won't harm your Mac. You Mac, since it shares an HD, could pick up a virus and infect the Virtual Machine if it is running at the same time (I never turn mine off since I have all image types set by default to open in MS Paint).
I recommend AVG since their free version does just fine, but use whatever virus protection you are most comfortable with.

Last point: Paintbrush is shit. It can't allow you to drag selections in the same way MS Paint can, and as you stated, it is far too buggy to use IMO. MS Paint is the best spriting program, so why would you settle for less? With my above method, Mac users can have all the Mac-sexiness and the functionality of Windows when developers do not think outside the Windows box, all for a minimum pricetag.

Back to top Go down
Luka

PostSubject: Re: Mac Or MS??   Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:16 pm

Thanks, Blues. That's all the help I could ask!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mac Or MS??   

Back to top Go down

Mac Or MS??

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DBZ Vortex :: Information Boards :: Questions & Suggestions-