DBZ Vortex

The number one forum and resource for Dragon Ball Z Legendary Super Warrior sprites

PortalHomeFAQRulesRegisterLog in

Share | 

VSI: The Vortex Spriting Initiative

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Blues Light
Administrator

PostVSI: The Vortex Spriting Initiative

Ok guys, you've asked about it.
Imma tell you about it.

VSI, the Vortex Spriting Initiative, is mean to create the largest coherent library of LSW sheets in a single, uniform style ever made. How many times has someone wanted to make a comic, only to have to sheet several characters on their own, or request someone else to do it for them? Well, we're here to fix this issue.

VSI spriting is open to every member of the DBZ Vortex community. With that said, there is a small group of quality-control staff, the VSI Submission Team, who will go over each submitted sheet and check it to make sure that it matches the VSI style in terms of shading, proportions, and overall quality. The overall goal is to have all the sprites appear as if they'd come from one single DBZ game, rather than appear obviously from dozens of different creators.

The overall style is an updated, 3-tone shaded, LSW. More examples will be made available in the coming days as we hammer out the last details, yet I can provide you with a one-shot emphasizing the basic style:

This goes without saying, but please don't use this without giving credit to VSI. This whole project exists for Vortexians to use and expand upon, but don't take it for granted eh? Hee

Now for the logistical side of the coin: all sheets must be organized in basically the same manner, which will be given an example as we get a sheet or 2 completed for reference. Anyone on Vortex can begin a sheet, submit it to the VSI review team, and once it's been polished, it'll go into the Vault for public use. You cannot make your sheets exclusive and require your permission to be used. Essentially this is a public service from all of us to all of us, so the VSI sheets are free to use for any member of Vortex, provided that proper credit is given to VSI and the individual spriters of the sheet being used.
What should you do if you want to sprite say, Bojack, and someone else might already be working on Bojack? The simplest thing to do would be to talk with whomever that is and collaborate. Rather than submitting 2 Bojack sheets to the VSI review team and then having us basically reject one or combine them into one sheet, you both should work together to provide a better sheet than either could do alone, and then submit it to VSI.

I'll keep a list in this post of who is currently working on what characters, so that they can be easily referenced. If you post saying "I want to work on ___________!", then work on it by all means. However, if someone else wants to sprite the same character and completes a sheet before you, then you've missed the boat. Perhaps yours could be combined somehow, but this is on a first-come, first-serve basis, so I would STRONGLY advise teamwork and community spirit with this project.

Lastly, don't think of this as VRP was, a private team making sheets for you. Yes there is a small team of reviewers for VSI, but this is to ensure the overall style is maintained, not to take over the project. If you want to know who the spriters are for the Vortex Spriting Initiative, they are each and every one of you who logs into this place and wants to see it become as great as it once was.

List of current sheets in progresss
-Goku, Cell saga: BL, M_J, and Afro.
-Vegeta, Cell saga: BL, M_J, and Afro.

Back to top Go down

Similar topics

-
» Monk OTK
» Gladiator Beasts -- Have Fun
» The Blogs: 4th Generation
» Terrasolo Prop "Collection" Pics
» The tumblr initiative
Share this post on: diggdeliciousredditstumbleuponslashdotyahoogooglelive

VSI: The Vortex Spriting Initiative :: Comments

Re: VSI: The Vortex Spriting Initiative
Post on Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:07 pm by Z-Fighter
How about using the old-school-style for starters and having the shading for the Advanced spriters? I think it's logical for anyone to choose their own style, right?
Post on Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:37 pm by Luka
Oh yeah sorry forgot to mention I think we've abolished the idea of letting people make their sheets in VSI and we're just going all-out in our spriting skill and try to make it look as awesome as possible, since AB was completely SHITTING on us, releasing amazing sheets in record time.
Post on Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:53 pm by Z-Fighter
Ah, I see. I'm just a person who prefers to stay old school and concentrate on custom poses instead. But that's just me.
Post on Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:33 pm by Kane
Mind if I use the VSi Vegeta? To animate.
Post on Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:34 pm by Luka
Errmm I dont think so, we said a while back not to use anything of VSi and Ive told Jackmen the same, causing him to take down his topic so now Id feel bad if I let someone else use it. But, its not only my decision to make. It seems that VSI is kinda in the shitter right now, soooo ask MJ or Afro and see what they have to say >.<
Post on Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:47 pm by Blues Light
I was under the impression that since it was released, it was now free to use...

That is VSI's purpose yaknow.
Post on Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:07 pm by Luka
Oki doke! Well then, now I feel bad for telling Jackmen off Sad
Post on Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:17 pm by Sparky
its ok luka you had good intentions at least :)

btw luka need to talk to you would u happen to have facebook or any social network thing lol
Post on Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:36 am by Luka
Sparky wrote:
its ok luka you had good intentions at least :)

btw luka need to talk to you would u happen to have facebook or any social network thing lol

My apologies, I haven't seen this post til just now. Just go ahead and PM me or if it's not working you can e-mail me at LukasAhl1@aol.com
But make sure you add a proper subject because I usually delete e-mails from addresses that I've never seen before

As for VSI, it seems it's been a while since you guys have been updated, and since we're finalized and ready for people to use sprites, I may as well post everything I have for the public that hasn't been posted before :)

Post on Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:42 am by Kane
Man they all look fabulous, any updates on the sheets? Also Super Buu looks a bit stretched other than that, solid work.
Post on Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:45 am by Luka
As most of VSi has been hit with the lazy flu thanks to summer and prior duties, I think it's safe to say VSi is on hold for a moment. But don't worry, I'm sure we will start up again.

I know what you mean about Buu, but since he's so much taller than even Piccolo, I wanted to show that in the scale. And after all, Buu IS a slim fella.
Post on Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:53 am by MassehBoi
Luka, the VSI Project is looking pretty good. Vegeta's clothes look a little bit purple in Super Saiyan but it looks fine.
Post on Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:00 am by HaZe
Looking really nice guys, they all look amazing, if you need any help, hit me up.
Post on Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:35 am by Cody
That looks so Sick
Good Job guys :)
Post on Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:19 am by Mageta
Lookin' good as allways.

Great work.
Post on Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:29 pm by Z-Fighter
The sprites look awesome. Looking forward to see any of the female cast of the Z-Fighters and their supporters soon. :)
Post on Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:15 pm by L. Cole
Not trying to flame, but most of these look bad, and more importantly like Luka did all of it. Most of them look like edited LSW sprites, I loved it at first, but this is pretty dissapointing. Kane said he was hoping for Afros shading, MJ's proportions, Lukas sheets, but this is pretty much like a rushed series of spirites. Sorry.
Post on Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:16 pm by Seto Stevce
Tunechi wrote:
Not trying to flame, but most of these look bad, and more importantly like Luka did all of it. Most of them look like edited LSW sprites, I loved it at first, but this is pretty dissapointing. Kane said he was hoping for Afros shading, MJ's proportions, Lukas sheets, but this is pretty much like a rushed series of spirites. Sorry.

VSI was meant to be a style which resembled the original sprites but with a lot more detail. I guess that's why they look like edited LSW sprites..that was the point.
Another thing, before you say they look bad you should tell us why, it would help us improve them. And I can tell you they weren't rushed. This project's been in the works for months.
Post on Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:09 pm by Omega Jet
Hmm I hope you guys wont mind me critcising a bit, so here goes,
the Yamcha on the top row looks really stiff. I think its because of the shoulder, it is a little too high IMO.
The Gohans look really good but I think that the Teen Gohans should be a little more shorter or the adult Gohans should be a little more taller, whichever way it goes.
The Tiens also look really stiff as well and a little more shading on the shirt wouldnt hurt either.
Lastly, the torso on the Super Buus look wrong(In terms of shading) and the chest is a little to wide with no defiance of the right shoulder(Our perspective)
The rest looks good, but to be perfectly honest, I expected them to be a little better myself. I hope I was able to help.
Post on Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:33 pm by Luka
Nuts. That's a bummer, I still really like everything we've done :'(

Still, I appreciate the crits
Post on Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:44 pm by Afrolicious
Luka wrote:

Any criticism is good criticism.

We could all just redo them. *coughagaincough*
Post on Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:43 pm by Luka
Afrolicious wrote:
Luka wrote:

The style's gonna just continue to change cos everyone of us are constantly developing. As is the LSW style altogether.. So idk I'm always up for the busywork but eehhh
Post on Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:14 am by Afrolicious
Luka wrote:
Afrolicious wrote:
Luka wrote:

The style's gonna just continue to change cos everyone of us are constantly developing. As is the LSW style altogether.. So idk I'm always up for the busywork but eehhh
Well, maybe not redo, but fix what he stated and add a few more tweaks.
Post on Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:50 am by Mistah_Jayden
Lol, if we ACTUALLY tried we'd blow your heads off. But we got to lower the standards so it can be a community project.
There's tons of things I dislike. But I just went with it, for the fact it wasn't my style and I didn't want to constantly bitch about changing shit because we tried to move at a fast pace and get no where with the constant crits. Can't phase everyone.
The way I saw this was if the wip isn't too great maybe the sheet would make up for it.
They aren't that bad...they shit on the current DBZ section anyway lol.

Post on Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:01 am by Kane
No. Make it fucking so good that its not funny, make it so good that we can't even compare to get to that level. And they didn't even change in the slightest since the last update so get the fuck onto it and make it amazing. Or just under the amazing level.
Post on Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:36 am by Mistah_Jayden
Lol Nah, if you read the whole point of VSi it was to get you lazy faggots to help us out and do something at least lol. So the idea was to take the average style of the community and make sprites out of it so once sheets were released if anyone wanted to make a sheet for VSi they can without it looking like garbage. o.o.

As you can see the whole style clashing on those sprites. Why? Cuz we don't sprite in sync. Therefore coming out not as good as expected. We stood there for a good 13 pages editing Goku..
Post on Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:00 am by Kane
Its because you guys are using one base. Different characters cause for different needs, I'd say make a good Goku, like the original one on the first page. And just like keep going, make sure he looks good and then work on someone else. Keep the basic style but change it for the needs of the characters.

Or just continue with that, their good but its like hard to explain.
Post on Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:01 am by Seto Stevce
Mistah_Jayden wrote:
Lol, if we ACTUALLY tried we'd blow your heads off. But we got to lower the standards so it can be a community project.
There's tons of things I dislike. But I just went with it, for the fact it wasn't my style and I didn't want to constantly bitch about changing shit because we tried to move at a fast pace and get no where with the constant crits. Can't phase everyone.
The way I saw this was if the wip isn't too great maybe the sheet would make up for it.

QFT.
Post on Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:14 am by Omega Jet
Mistah_Jayden wrote:

Heh I knew this was the case, I mean accounting for the spriters that make up VSI, I really did expected them to be better.
The whole lower the standards so it can be a community project makes sense so I will stay quiet.
Post on Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 am by Blues Light
Or, just throwing this out there....the community can step it up.
Post on Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:55 am by Afrolicious
Blues Light wrote:
What Blues said. :3
Post on Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:00 pm by Luka
Blues Light wrote:
Bahahahah yeah, the real question here is should we dumb ourselves down or should we try n light a fire under all your asses?
Post on Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:35 pm by Mistah_Jayden
Na we don't have enough fire for that. Light your own ass. =D
Seriously though Luka already posted the WiPs. By all means, give it a shot, if you can make it better.
Post on Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:16 pm by Luka
Mistah_Jayden wrote:
Na we don't have enough fire for that. Light your own ass. =D
Seriously though Luka already posted the WiPs. By all means, give it a shot, if you can make it better.

Good point, everyone's saying what they don't like about it but this IS for everyone else, and no one's tried making anything except for Jackmen. So stop bitching and fix it yourselves, this is a group effort :)
Post on Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:38 pm by Afrolicious
Lmao. Promotion of laziness and determination. Contradictory FTW!
Post on Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:09 pm by Luka
Afrolicious wrote:
Lmao. Promotion of laziness and determination. Contradictory FTW!

Fuck that, lord knows I'M not doing shit. EVERYONE WORK HARDER

VSI: The Vortex Spriting Initiative

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 

Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DBZ Vortex :: Information Boards :: Announcements & Updates-